Flashback Fridays – Pool of Radiance
No other thing shaped my life more then the Commodore 64, it’s the sole reason I am in computers, and love video games so much. ALot of RPG’s came out on the C64, great titles like Bard’s Tale, Might and Magic, Wizardry, and Ultima to name a few. One of my all time favorites though was Pool of Radiance, which was released in 1988.
5 Things I loved about Pool of Radiance.
1. Combat – Combat was different then most RPG’s I played, there was a strategic element there. Insteasd of usual stagnant combat you got to move your party around.
2. AD&D – it used the rules of AD&D, and I loved AD&D
3. Forgotten Realms – I use to love all those books based in the Forgotten Realms…In later games yes we would see Drizzt.
4. The Story – There is a dragon involved, and how can you not have a dragon in AD&D
5. Your Toons – You became invested in your toons, as they progressed, you became more powerful, the more powerful you became…the more awesome the game became.
Pool of Radiance, I believe was ahead of it’s time, and I enjoyed it immensely. I wish more games came out that were as enthralling as this game.