Don’t get your panties in a wad!
I read this, and I was going to comment…but of course I am a blogger and way to long-winded on this subject for a mere comment.
Does she have a right to be offended. Yes. You can’t help what a person feels. But as one who is usually the offending party. I thought I would explain some things.
1. Maybe you need to be offended – Sometimes we get into this little comfortable box of ours, and we don’t want the boat rocked, but sometimes someone comes along and says something over the top, and it makes us think. Whoa….think? What’s that word?
2. Are you having an emotional response, or a logical one – Did he hurt your feelings? Awwww. Or are you aware that his statement was spoken out of ignorance, and stupidity. Maybe he needs to be taught a lesson.
3, Stereotypes don’t just fall out of the sky – Yes there are some gross, and bad generalizations, but sometimes there lies a kernal of truth. It’s up to you to break the mold.
Ok I’m gonna give you some tips on how to beat an idiot….like myself. Now these are very situational, you might have to pick and choose what is right for the situation.
1. Make me feel bad – Yes I do have a conscience, and if you say nicely, “You really hurt my feelings on that, how could you say that.” I might actually say I’m sorry.
2. Knowledge – Nothing shuts me up quicker than the truth. You smack me down hard enough with it, you won’t hear from me for at least ….an hour. A great quote from William Blake is “A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees.”
3. A Gang Up – When one or more gang up on me, I might retreat to higher ground.
4. Ignore – Nothing pisses an attention whore like myself then someone ignoring me. Fight me, yell at me, scratch my eyes out. I don’t care, but just don’t ignore me.
If I know I’m a jerk, and what I’m doing is sexist, hurtful, or just plain ignorant, why do I do it? Why do I seek to cross the boundaries of good taste sometimes? The answer is simple, The Devil makes me do it. :)
Bottomline alot of poor behavior on the internet is because simply we can get away with it. If you show the person involved they can’t get away with it, they may conform, and might learn a lesson as well.
This entry was posted on April 13, 2010 at 6:39 pm and is filed under MMORPG with tags Annoying Jerks, Assholes. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.